Photo: Marja-Liisa Pitkänen
The Pirkanmaa area includes valuable forests, marshes and eskers as well as cultural and heritage landscapes. The nature conservation areas are small and fragmented, and the use of land outside the areas is so effective that the populations and habitats of rare species are constantly decreasing.
Securing the diversity of nature
In order to secure the diversity of nature, Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment for Pirkanmaa (Pirkanmaa ELY) :
- Develops the nature conservation network.
- Finalises the implementation of confirmed conservation programmes.
- Promotes voluntary conservation and other parts of the METSO action plan (Forest Biodiversity Programme for Southern Finland).
- Compiles and furthers management and land use plans for protected areas.
- Intensifies the protection of endangered plant and animal species.
- Improves the knowledge base of species conservation.
- Secures waterfowl areas and valuable shoreline habitats.