Alien Species in the Nordic Countries
Invasive alien species are considered to be the second most serious threat to native biodiversity, after habitat loss and fragmentation. In the Nordic Countries much has already been done to control alien species, but yet much more is to be done.
Alien species in the Nordic Countries (pdf, 1915 kb) Published 27 October 2008
The fact sheet may be printed and distributed freely. When using the information copyright must be respected. Please refer to the fact sheet as: Nordic nature – trends towards 2010. Nordic Council of ministers 2008. Fact sheet: Alien Species in the Nordic Countries. 27 Oct 2008 (pdf). www.environment.fi/nordicnature > Fact sheets > Alien Species.
- European Strategy on Invasive Alien Species. 2003. T-PVS (2003) 7 revised. Convention on the conservation of European wildlife and natural habitats.
- Weidema, I. R. (toim.). 2000. Introduced Species in the Nordic Countries. Nord 2000:13. Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen.
- Nielsen, C., Ravn, H.P., Nentwig, W. & Wase, M. (eds.) 2005: The Giant Hogweed Best Practice manual. Guidelines for the management and control of an invasive weed in Europe.
- Alien species in Finland. 2001. Ministry of the Environment. The Finnish Environment 466. Helsinki.
- Alien species that threaten ecosystems, habitats or species. COP 6 Decision VI/23, The Hague, 7-19 April 2002.
- CBD: major cross-cutting theme, Guiding Principles for the Implementation of Article 8 (h) (adopted by COP 6 Decision VI/23, The Hague, 7-19 April 2002) ("Guiding principles for the prevention, introduction and mitigation of impacts of alien species that threaten ecosystems, habitats or species")
- Global Invasive Species Programme GISP, Global Strategy on Invasive Alien Species, Toolkit of Best Prevention and Management Practises
- European Strategy on Invasive Alien Species 2003. Final version. T-PVS (2003) 7 revised. Council of Europe. Strasbourg, 5 December 2003.
- Hulme, Philip E. 2007. Biological Invasions in Europe: Drivers, Pressures, States, Impacts and Responses. Issues in Environmental Science and Technology, No. 25. Biodiversity Under Threat. The Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Nationell strategi för främmande arter och genotyper. Delredovisning av ett regeringsuppdrag. Dnr 400-378-06 Nh. 23-06-2008. Naturvårdsverket. (Swedish national strategy for invasive alien species.)
- Gederaas, L., Salvesen, I. og Viken, Å. (red.) 2007. Norsk svarteliste 2007 – Økologiske risikovurderinger av fremmede arter. Artsdatabanken, Norway. (2007 Norwegian Black List – Ecological Risk Analysis of Alien Species.)