ICP IM Activities
Review of the ICP IM activities in 2011-2012
- The Chairman Lars Lundin represented the ICP IM programme at the 27th ICP Forests Task Force meeting in Copenhagen, Denmark, 15-19 May 2011.
- Jussi Vuorenmaa represented the ICP IM programme at the 8th International Conference on Acid Deposition: ACID RAIN 2011, in Beijing, China, 15-18 June 2011.
- The Programme Manager Martin Forsius participated in the symposium “Ecosystem Services in soil and water research” 7-10 June 2011 in Uppsala, Sweden.
- Martin Forsius took part in the workshop “Long term socio-ecological research: What do we know from science and practice?” co-organised by ALTER-Net and LTER-Europe in Helsinki, Finland, 14-17 June 2011.
- Martin Forsius attended the ExpeER (Experimentation in Ecosystem Research) executive committee meeting on 29 June 2011 in Brussels, Belgium.
- Martin Forsius participated in ILTER's annual meeting in 2011 co-organized by Japan Long-Term Ecological Research Network (JaLTER), IFES-GCOE of Hokkaido University, Ecosystem Adaptability GCOE of Tohoku University and Global Land Project (GLP) Sapporo Nodal Office. The meeting took place in Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan, 5-9 September 2011.
- Lars Lundin and Martin Forsius represented ICP IM in the Working Group on Effects (WGE) 30th meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, 27-29 September 2011 and in the WGE Extended Bureau meeting on 26 September.
- Jussi Vuorenmaa represented the ICP IM programme at the ICP Waters 27th Task Force meeting in Sochi, Russia, 19-21 October 2011.
- Martin Forsius participated in the twelfth meeting of Joint Expert Group on Dynamic Modelling (JEG) in Sitges, Spain, 27-30 October 2011.
- Lars Lundin attended the EU LIFE+ project EnvEurope meeting in Bucharest, Romania, 15-18 November 2011.
- Martin Forsius took part in the Nordic European workshop of the BiodiversityKnowledge project “Developing a Knowledge Network for EUropean expertise on biodiversity and ecosystem services to inform policy making economic sectors”, KNEU in Copenhagen, Denmark, 24-25 November 2011.
- Lars Lundin participated in the LTER Sweden annual meeting on 5 December 2011 in Uppsala, Sweden.
- Lars Lundin attended the EU FP7 IP SoilTrEC meeting on 16-18 January 2012 in Ispra, Italy.
- Lars Lundin represented ICP IM in the joint WGE Extended Bureau and EMEP SB meeting and the (Extended) Bureau meeting in Geneva, Switzerland, 22-24 February 2012.
- Lars Lundin represented the ICP IM programme at the 22nd CCE workshop and 28th Task Force Meeting of the ICP M&M in Warsaw, Poland, 16-20 April 2012.
The twentieth meeting of the Programme Task Force on ICP Integrated Monitoring was held in Kaunas, Lithuania 23 May 2012. The Workshop on May 22 was organized as a part of the Conference “Biological Reactions of Forests to Climate Change and Air Pollution”.
Projects, data issues
- After December 1st 2011 the National Focal Points (NFPs) reported their 2010 results to the IM Programme Centre. The Programme Centre carried out standard check up of the results and incorporated them into the IM database after the new input software was finalized.
Scientific work in priority topics
- The Programme Centre prepared the ICP IM contribution on common items for WGE reported in September 2011.
- The Programme Centre prepared the ICP IM contribution to the WGE report "Impacts of air pollution on ecosystems, human health and materials under different Gothenburg Protocol scenarios (www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/env/documents/2012/EB/n_14_Report_WGE.pdf)"
- Report on relations between biodiversity indicators and CL-exceedances has been compiled and is presented in the present Annual Report (Dirnböck et al 2012).
- Updated report on mass balances for S and N has been prepared by the ICP IM PC. The report is presented in the Annual Report 2012 as a separate chapter (Vuorenmaa et al. 2012).
- A progress report on field monitoring and dynamic modelling using VSD model has been prepared, and is included in the present Annual Report (Dirnböck and Holmberg 2012).
- ICP IM participates in a joint coordinated exercise on dynamic modelling together with other ICPs (Joint Expert Group on Dynamic Modelling, JEG DM). Priority in the ICP IM work is given to site-specific modelling activities and development/testing of new methodologies for assessing the connections between air pollution and climate change.
Activities and tasks planned for 2012-2013
Activities/tasks related to the programme's present objectives, carried out in close collaboration with other ICPs/ Task Forces
According to the workplan of the Working Group on Effects, ICP IM will produce the following reports:
- Progress report on base line heavy metal approach
- Updated report on field monitoring and dynamic modeling using VSD model
- Final report (and scientific paper) on trends and mass balances for sulphur and nitrogen at ICP IM sites
- Maintenance and development of central ICP IM database at the Programme Centre
- Arrangement of the 21st Task Force meeting (2013)
- Preparation of the 22nd ICP IM Annual Report (2013)
- Preparation of the ICP IM contribution to assessment reports of the WGE
- Participation in meetings of the WGE, other ICPs and the JEG DM
Activities/tasks aimed at further development of the programme
- Participation in the development of the European LTER-network (Long Term Ecological Research network, www.lter-europe.net), and the related EU-infrastructure project LifeWatch (www.lifewatch.eu)
- Participation in the activities of other external organisations, particularly the International Long Term Ecological Research Network (ILTER)